• Summer camping trip - July 14-16 at Limekiln Lake campground in Inlet NY.
• Roller skiing - if and when we get more snow, watch email or the club Facebook site for more impromptu group skiing.
Equipment Now is the time to see what you've outgrown and what gear you'll need for the season (see here for advice about what to get and links to online sellers).
• Used gear - check our club Facebook site for deals on hand-me-downs within the club. You may also get lucky at Play It Again Sports (especially if you're looking for waxless classic skis).
• New gear - go to Park Ave and ask about RXCSF team prices - probably the best deals on new gear that we can get (and can't beat in-person fitting). Links to online ski stores who may have closeout sales or team pricing (ask) are here.
• Club loaner gear - borrow from an assortment of skis, boots and poles - email with what you need (including sizes - shoe size and height/weight if you don't know your ski size) and we'll see if we have a match for you..
• Share the equipment, share the love. We want help make it easier for more kids to try out skiing and fall in love with it, and are looking to expand the club's fleet of loaner equipment. If you have used gear that you're looking to pass on, let us know!
• Support your local ski organizations. Our parent organization Rochester XC Ski Foundation (RXCSF) provides grooming, trail maintenance and insurance to support our program and Rochester area skiing in general - check the main RXCSF site for updates on conditions as new snow falls, and join for a tax-deductible donation to further the cause. NYSSRA organizes festivals, racing on a state-wide level and provides insurance for our club events - all BKL kids should join (free for the first year, $15 after that or $45 for the whole family - membership or $5 one-day licenses are required for all NYSSRA-sanctioned races).
Volunteer to help
After-ski snacks - hot chocolate and snacks after skiing have been a Bill Koch League institution since Ruth Hayes first nailed shoes to some skis (or so I'm told) and started our club 40+ years ago. Help us to keep it going! Our Snack Coordinators will provide you with the supplies (at practice the week before or during the week), and on the day of you'll mix up hot chocolate, Gatorade, and lug it all to practice. No better way to become the hero of the day! Sign up for a week, or even better 2-3 weeks in a row to minimize handoffs.
2018 BKL Festivals
New England Bill Koch League Festival Saturday-Sunday, February 17-18 at the Leo J. Martin Ski Track in Weston MA. The ultimate in Northeastern youth ski festivals, best for those who enjoy racing but with lots of non-competitive fun as well. All who've been will say it's worth the drive (and this is usually the second-closest location in the 4-state rotation). Festival rates are now available at the host hotel, Embassy Suites in Waltham MA (group name: BILL KOCH FESTIVAL, group code: BKF). Book early if you think you might go (there's plenty of other lodging around Boston, but often for more $$).