Ski Like An American!
Saturday January 12
9:00 - 10:00 am Sign-in, bib-pickup, warm-up
9:30 - 9:45 Coaches/Parents Meeting
10:00 -11:30 Freestyle Sprint (King's Court Format*)
10:00 Sprint Prologue (1.2 km, 15-s interval start, U8-U16)
10:30 Heats - Round 1
10:50 Heats - Round 2
11:10 Heats - Final Round
11:40 Lollipop Race
12:00 -12:30 Lunch (bring your own)
12:45 - 2:15 Tour de Ski Across America - non-competitive tour with activities celebrating American x-c skiing greats, including challenges such as:
• Andy Newell Agility Speed Course - bob and weave like a master of rollerski agility, but on skis
• Jessie Diggins Dance-off - glitter your face, gather your squad and throw down your best dance moves on snow
• XC Siblings Tandem Ski - 4 boots, 4 bindings, 2 big skis...can you find your groove as a skiing duo?
5:30 - 8:00 pm Banquet - HFL Middle School (619 Quaker Meeting House Rd., Honeoye Falls). Doors at 5:30, food at 6:00, awards, and slideshow to follow.
*King's Court sprint - everyone skis the prologue, and can race as far as they want into the 3 rounds of heats - nobody gets eliminated! Skiers will be grouped into heats based on prologue time, across all ages/genders (fastest 6 in heat 1, 7-12 in heat 2, etc). Winners of each heat move up to the next fastest heat in the next round (and the last in each heat moves down) - so every race is with well-matched competition. Age group awards will be based on standings after: prologue (U8), Round 1 (U10), Round 2 (U12), Round 3 (U14) - but you can keep racing as long as you want!
Sunday January 13
8:30 - 9:30 am Check-in, bib pick-up, waxing and warm-up.
All are welcome at the RXCSF tent for kick waxing help!
9:40 - 11:15 Classic Racing (mass start)
9:40 U14 Boys and Girls (U16 skiers welcome too)
10:00 U12 Boys and Girls
10:20 U10 Boys and Girls
10:40 U8 Boys and Girls
10:45 Tour de Ski (choose your own distance, pace)
11:15 Team Sprint Relays (4 x 0.5 km freestyle)
12:00 Ski Fest Feast
Driving directions to Bristol Mountain Nordic Center
• If you're new to Bristol, drive to the Nordic Center at the top of the mountain (directions), not the downhill area at the bottom.
• Wax recommendations - the summit forecast is for temps in the low to mid teens both days. Glide wax: Swix CH5 or 6, Toko Red, or LF equivalent. Please do not use HF or pure fluro wax. Kickwax on Sunday should be straightforward hardwax - help will be available for all at the RXCSF tent, bring your skis over and ask!
• All skiers should cheer for the Lollipop Race immediately following the final sprint round, then grab a quick lunch and come out for the Tour de Ski.
• There will be space on Hale Bopp for warm-up during the Saturday sprints, as well as a preview of some of the features for the afternoon agility sprint course for non-racers to try.
• Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join a team for the Sunday team sprint relay - family, friends, strangers who seem nice enough... Sign in at registration on Sunday, and we can help fill out the 4-person teams if needed.
• Plan to clear out of Bristol by 3:00 on Saturday, before the hordes of Section V descend for a long-overdue high school race.
The more people get involved, the more fun the festival is for everyone. Time, hand out bibs, apply face glitter, take photos, bring cookies for the post-fest feast, play during the Tour de Ski - sign up for something so we know we've got the bases covered!